Dr. Sandeep Sheth’s research focuses on understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying cisplatin-induced hearing loss (ototoxicity). Cisplatin is a commonly used chemotherapeutic agent which produces an irreversible side effect of hearing loss. To this end, Dr. Sheth’s research efforts are directed towards identifying protective agents that can either prevent or treat the hearing loss using in vitro and in vivo models of cisplatin ototoxicity. For his work, he has been awarded research grants from American Hearing Research Foundation and Hearing Health Foundation. Another long-standing research interest of Dr. Sheth focuses on using resveratrol, a natural polyphenol present in red wine, to regulate the expression of specific microRNA’s for the inhibition of prostate cancer growth and metastasis.
- Sheth S, Sheehan K, Dhukhwa A, Al Aameri RFH, Mamillapalli C, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP, Ramkumar V. Oral Administration of Caffeine Exacerbates Cisplatin-Induced Hearing Loss. Sci Rep. 2019 Jul 2;9(1):9571.
- Ghosh S, Sheth S, Sheehan K, Mukjerjea D, Dhukhwa A, Borse V, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. The Endocannabinoid/Cannabinoid Receptor 2 System Protects Against Cisplatin-Induced Hearing Loss. Front. Cell. Neurosci. (2018); 12:271.
- *Sheehan K, *Sheth S, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Trans-tympanic drug delivery for the treatment of ototoxicity. J Vis Exp. (2018); (133), e56564.
- *Equal contribution
- Sheth S, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Mechanisms of cisplatin-induced ototoxicity and otoprotection. Front. Cell. Neurosci. (2017); 11:338.
- Al Aameri RFH, Sheth S, Alanisi EMA, Borse V, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Tonic suppression of PCAT29 by the IL-6 signaling pathway in prostate cancer: Reversal by resveratrol. PLoS One. (2017); 12(5):e0177198.
- Sheth S, Brito R, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Adenosine receptors: Expression, function and regulation. Int J Mol Sci. (2014); 15(2):2024-52.
- Sheth S, Jajoo S, Kaur T, Mukherjea D, Sheehan K, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Resveratrol reduces prostate cancer growth and metastasis by inhibiting the Akt/MicroRNA-21 pathway. PLoS One. (2012); 7(12):e51655.
Publication list via PubMed:
Selected Book Chapters
- Mamillapalli C, Dhukhwa A, Sheth S, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Review of Ototoxic Drugs and Treatment Strategies for Reducing Hearing Loss. In book: New Therapies to Prevent or Cure Auditory Disorders (2020), Ch. 3; pp. 51-78, ISBN: 978-3-030-40412-3, Editors: Sylvie Pucheu, Kelly E. Radziwon and Richard Salvi, Publisher: Springer.
- Sheth S, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. The contribution of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory functions of adenosine A1 receptor in mediating otoprotection. In book: Inflammatory Mechanisms in Mediating Hearing Loss (2018), Ch. 8; pp. 149-164, ISBN: 978-3-319-92507-3, Editors: Vickram Ramkumar and Leonard Rybak, Publisher: Springer.
- Sheth S, Tupal S and Ramkumar V. Role of adenosine receptors in cancer. In book: Adenosine Signaling Mechanisms: Pharmacology, Functions and Therapeutic Aspects (2015), Ch. 8; pp. 163-182, ISBN: 978-1-63483-186-4, Editors: Vickram Ramkumar and Roberto Paes De Carvalho, Publisher: Nova Science Publishers.
- Jajoo S, Sheth S, Mukherjea D, Rybak LP and Ramkumar V. Targeting adenosine receptors for the treatment of melanoma. In book: Breakthroughs in Melanoma Research (2011), Ch. 15; pp. 309-330, ISBN: 978-953-307-291-3, Editor: Yohei Tanaka, Publisher: InTech.
- Bhushan A, Sheth S, Jain A and Lai JCK. Effects of hypoxia on angiogenesis and survival of gliomablastoma multiforme. In book: Neuro-Oncology and Cancer Targeted Therapy (2010), Ch. 7; pp. 183-198, ISBN: 978-1-61668-708-3, Editor: Lucía M. Gutiérrez, Publisher: Nova Science Publishers.
- Asmita Dhukhwa, Sandeep Sheth, Chaitanya Mamillapalli, Vickram Ramkumar and Debashree Mukherjea. Synergistic interaction between TRPV1 and TNF-α in mediating noise-induced hearing loss. Association for Research in Otolaryngology 43rd Annual Midwinter Meeting, January 25-29, 2020; San Jose, CA.
- Sandeep Sheth, Raheem Al Aameri, Vikrant Borse, Asmita Dhukhwa, Michelle Lowy, Debashree Mukherjea, Leonard P. Rybak and Vickram Ramkumar. Cisplatin-induced oxidative stress down-regulates strial Na+/K+-ATPase expression. Association for Research in Otolaryngology 42th Annual Midwinter Meeting, February 9-13, 2019; Baltimore, MD.
- Asmita Dhukhwa, Debashree Mukherjea, Kelly Sheehan, Sumana Ghosh, Sandeep Sheth, Leonard Rybak and Vickram Ramkumar. Regulator of G-protein signaling 17 (RGS17), a novel mediator of cisplatin-induced ototoxicity. Association for Research in Otolaryngology 41st Annual Midwinter Meeting, February 9-14, 2018; San Diego, CA.
- Sandeep Sheth, Kelly Sheehan, Michelle Lowy, Vikrant Borse, Asmita Dhukhwa, Raheem Al-aameri, Debashree Mukherjea, Leonard P. Rybak and Vickram Ramkumar. The detrimental effects of caffeine consumption on hearing in the rat model of cisplatin ototoxicity. Association for Research in Otolaryngology 40th Annual Midwinter Meeting, February 11-15, 2017; Baltimore, MD.
- Sandeep Sheth, Debashree Mukherjea, Leonard P. Rybak and Vickram Ramkumar. Targeting IGF-1-induced activation of STAT-3 signaling pathway for the treatment of prostate cancer. 26th Annual Trainee Research Symposium at SIU School of Medicine, April 29th, 2016; Springfield, IL.
Awards and Honors
2019 Barbara Armour and Marcus Randall Memorial Award for excellence in research, SIU School of Medicine, Springfield, IL
2017 Hearing Health Foundation: Emerging Research Grant Award, New York, NY
2016 Second place for oral presentation at 26th Annual Trainee Research Symposium, SIU School of Medicine, Springfield, IL
Title: Targeting IGF-1-induced activation of STAT-3 signaling pathway for the treatment of prostate cancer.
2015 American Hearing Research Foundation: Research Grant Award, Elmhurst, IL
2013 Third place for abstract and poster presentation at Simmons Cancer Institute Research Symposium, Springfield, IL
Title: Resveratrol attenuates prostate cancer growth by inhibiting insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor signaling.
2011 Second place for oral presentation at 21st Annual Trainee Research Symposium, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
Title: MicroRNA-21 serves as an essential target for resveratrol’s anti- tumor action against metastatic prostate cancer cells.